Saturday, October 16, 2021, Bill Pipal
Saturday Themeless by Bill Pipal
1. Term of address in old Westerns: KEMOSABE - How old do you have to be to get this reference? Uh, I qualify!!
15. Freaking out: IN A PANIC.
16. DNA sample source: SALIVA - Spit in a tube and send it in for DNA analysis
17. Writer's challenge: DRY SPELL - Getting through one
18. Ascent, for one: SUBARU - Car brand and model. Google if you must, they all look alike.
19. Crowd around: MOB - Treatment received by Sinatra, Elvis, The Beatles,...
20. Show confidence in, with "by": SWEAR - I SWEAR by my eight-yr-old Cadillac but my son-in-law will not drive a domestic car and even flew to Chicago to get a new Audi to drive back to Lincoln
22. "Seinfeld" surname: BENES - Seinfeld, Kramer, Costanza and BENES
23. Touch: ABUT - HGTV's International House Hunters showed some houses that really do ABUT each other in Paris
25. Short piece: STUB.
27. 2018 film for which Alfonso Cuarón won Best Director: ROMA - No idea for me.
28. Beersheba's region: NEGEV - Beersheba (also called Be'er Sheva) is a little over an hour SSE of Tel Aviv via the Toll Road Hwy 6 on the north edge of the NEGEV Desert.
32. "The Color of Money" game: NINE BALL - Who else could get billing above Tom Cruise? 89% on Rotten Tomatoes. 36. Enjoyed, with "up": ATE - I ATE up this movie but the original, The Hustler, got a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes
37. Controversial phenomenon in response to controversial actions: CANCEL CULTURE -Google if you must. This forum is not for political issues.
40. Disheveled do: MOP.
41. "Capisce?": AM I CLEAR.
|Yes, Mr. Soprano!|
42. They make a lot of calls: UMPIRES - Replay shows them right 94+% of the time
44. Inflexible: RIGID.
48. Kids' song locale: DELL - There's this farmer who lives in one...
49. Cries of success: AHAS.
52. Tireless assistant: SIRI - SIRI on my iPhone is a bottomless supply of useful and useless information!
53. Puppy: WHELP - As a noun a WHELP is a synonym for a puppy and as a verb it means to give birth to puppies. Below is a WHELP Box that is used for mom's comfort and containing the puppies.
55. L.A.'s __ Museum of the American West: AUTRY - I almost asked SIRI about the LA Museum of the American West but cowboy actor Gene AUTRY finally came to my mind. _ _T _ Y almost led me to GETTY
64. Got off the leash: RAN LOOSE.
1. Oscar winner as Woolf in 2002: KIDMAN - Nicole as Virginia Woolf in the movie The Hours (79% on Rotten Tomatoes)
| Woolf KIDMAN |
2. Dress for court, maybe: ENROBE - An unfortunate word that Bill told us he used as a last resort
3. Common name for a cockchafer: MAYBUG - Also called a Doodlebug or Maybeetle
4. Covert __: OPS.
5. Drains: SAPS.
6. One way to begin: ANEW.
7. Gymnast who won four golds in Rio: BILES.
8. Brilliance: ECLAT - A word I have never heard or used except in crosswords.
9. Biblical mount: ASS.
10. Slap (on): DAUB - This guy is DAUBING a thick substance onto a stick frame called a wattle to make a wall
11. Renaissance painter Dürer: ALBERT - Bill wrote me that he clued it as "MLB slugger Pujols" but Rich selected "the more obscure reference"
12. Setting for a Billy Joel classic: PIANO BAR - I like Rich's cluing here
13. One hiding in the cushions?: TV REMOTE - I like Bill's cluing here
14. Breakfast link: SAUSAGE.
21. "Drag Race" host: RUPAUL - Constructor Stella Zawistowski told me she is a big fan
24. Ark. neighbor: TENN - We crossed the Mississippi River from ARK. to get to Memphis, TENN.
26. Ball charmer: BELLE - Cinderella for example
29. Church official: VICAR - Miss Marple investigates foul play at his house
35. Discreetly send a dupe to: BCC - Blind Carbon Copy: "My client" does not know I am sending this to "My boss" as well as to her.
37. Curt summons: COME HERE.
38. Slice of Americana?: APPLE PIE - A one time ad claimed Chevrolet was as American as Baseball, Hot Dogs and APPLE PIE
39. "Trinity" novelist: URIS - Leon's more well known novel Exodus is not used today
40. Spa treatment whose effects are temporary, per the FDA: MUD WRAP - Is the mud being DAUBED on?
43. "Lemme check": I'LL ASK.
45. Small Asian ape: GIBBON - You know that Bonobo at the zoo that you said resembles Uncle Fred? Well...
47. Homer or jack: DINGER - All three are slang for a home run
50. Feminist poet Lorde: AUDRE - Here ya go
51. Many a pound adoptee: STRAY - So appropriate for our dog adopter/constructor Bill!
54. It's a wrap: PITA.
56. Surrealist Magritte: RENE - Of his most famous painting, Son Of Man (1964), he said this was a take on a self portrait where we strain to see what we can't see.
Notes from C.C.
1) Congrats on your debut, Bill!
2) Happy Birthday to our foodie Blue Hen, who gave us this amazing risotto recipe a few years ago.
3) Happy birthday to CrossEyedDave, who never fails to delight us with his amazing links.